TikTok and its Chinese parent company ByteDance have agreed to pay $400 million to settle allegations by the U.S. Justice Department that the short video platform failed to properly protect children’s personal information. The settlement brings an important legal dispute over TikTok’s treatment of young users closer to an end, while also placing renewed attention on how social media companies verify the ages of users and obtain parental consent before collecting information from children.
The agreement, announced on August 21, resolves allegations stemming from a lawsuit filed by the Justice Department in 2024. Federal authorities accused TikTok and ByteDance of violating U.S. children’s privacy requirements by collecting personal information from users under the age of 13 without obtaining the required consent from their parents. The case focused on the platform’s handling of young users and the measures it had in place to prevent children from accessing the service while providing inaccurate ages.
Under the settlement, TikTok will pay $300 million immediately. The remaining $100 million will be paid after a court enters an order vacating an earlier consent decree involving the Federal Trade Commission. That earlier agreement dates back to 2019, when TikTok was still closely associated with Musical.ly, the social media application that was acquired by ByteDance and later became part of TikTok.

The latest settlement reflects concerns that have followed TikTok for years regarding children’s privacy. Social media platforms collect large amounts of information as people use their services, including details connected to accounts, activity and interactions. For younger users, U.S. law places additional requirements on companies because children may not fully understand the consequences of sharing personal information online.
The Justice Department said protecting children online remained a central priority for federal authorities. Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward said, “is ensuring that children are protected online and that companies entrusted with their personal information meet their legal obligations.” The statement underscores the government’s broader position that technology companies cannot rely solely on users to provide accurate information about their age when younger children are using their services.
The case also builds on the FTC’s earlier action against Musical.ly. In 2019, the company agreed to pay a $5.7 million fine after regulators alleged that it knew young children were using the platform but failed to obtain the necessary parental permission before collecting information from them. The information at issue included names, email addresses and other personal details.
That earlier enforcement action is significant because it shows that concerns about children using the platform did not begin with the Justice Department’s more recent lawsuit. Instead, regulators had already raised questions about TikTok’s ability to identify underage users and comply with privacy rules several years earlier. The new settlement represents a much larger financial agreement and comes as the company has faced broader scrutiny in the United States.
TikTok’s legal and regulatory environment has changed considerably since the Justice Department filed its complaint. Government officials acknowledged that the company has undergone major changes involving ownership, management, compliance operations and privacy practices. Those changes were taken into account as officials negotiated the settlement.
The Justice Department said the agreement “ensures that American families continue to benefit from stronger protections without the delay and uncertainty of protracted litigation.” Rather than allowing the dispute to continue through a lengthy court process, the settlement establishes financial consequences while allowing the government to point to strengthened privacy protections for families using the platform.
The agreement comes at a particularly important time for TikTok in the United States. In January, ByteDance agreed to create a majority American-owned joint venture as part of efforts to address U.S. national security and data concerns and avoid a potential ban. TikTok has more than 200 million users in the United States, making the platform an important part of the country’s social media landscape.
The children’s privacy dispute is separate from the wider national security debate surrounding TikTok, but the two issues contribute to the broader pressure facing the company. Privacy concerns focus on how information is collected and protected, while national security concerns have centered on the company’s ownership structure and the handling of U.S. user data. Together, they have forced TikTok to make significant changes to how it operates in the American market.
TikTok’s U.S. joint venture has said that users are required to provide their date of birth when creating accounts. The company has also developed age moderation technology intended to identify children under 13 who may have entered false information about their age. Age verification remains one of the most difficult challenges facing social media companies because children can often provide incorrect birth dates or otherwise attempt to bypass age restrictions.
According to a court filing from the TikTok U.S. joint venture, the company has hundreds of employees specifically trained to identify and moderate accounts belonging to underage users. The filing said these efforts result in tens of thousands of accounts belonging to underage users being removed.



