Ripple as a cryptocurrency is a great investment option in the long term, however, it is difficult to forecast or comprehend whether it will be able to beat Bitcoin’s return.
Three major factors why people buy XRP instead of BTC are:
- XRP tokens are priced very low, less than a dollar, which drives people buying psychology
- Ripple Network is used by many large financial institutions around the world for payment settlement and currency exchange, which will drive greater adoption of XRP tokens
- It is changing the face of banks’ global payment settlement and remittance system
Compared to Bitcoin, which enables peer-to-peer settlement, Ripple caters more to institutional financial players and has positioned itself against traditional settlement systems like SWIFT.
Benefits of Ripple over Bitcoin
- Highly scalable network- can handle up to 1500 transactions per second
- Less costly transaction fees- the cost of standard transaction on Ripple network is 0.00001 XRP
- Instant payment settlement- transaction confirmation takes less than 5 seconds
- It allows only pre-approved participants to manage nodes and verify transactions
- Uses less energy per transaction
Bitcoin is the world’s first cryptocurrency and has emerged as the world’s default reserve digital currency.