Honey is a sweet, natural product made by bees that has been used for centuries as a food and a medicine. While it has many health benefits, it can also be dangerous if consumed in large amounts or by certain people.

Honey is bad for you because it can cause a rare but serious gastrointestinal condition called infant botulism. This condition is caused by exposure to Clostridium botulinum spores, which are found in soil and dust. When these spores are ingested, they can grow and multiply in a baby’s intestines, producing a dangerous toxin. The symptoms of infant botulism include constipation, weak muscles, difficulty feeding, and a weak cry. If left untreated, it can be fatal.

For this reason, it is important to never give honey to infants under the age of one. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is also important to avoid consuming large amounts of honey, as it can pass through the placenta or breast milk and potentially cause harm to the baby.

In addition to the risk of infant botulism, honey can also contain small amounts of toxins, such as pesticides and heavy metals. These toxins can accumulate in the body over time and cause health problems.

Finally, honey can also contain bacteria that can cause food poisoning. If you consume honey that has not been pasteurized, you are at risk of developing food poisoning.

In conclusion, honey can be beneficial in small amounts, but it is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with consuming too much of it. If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have an infant under the age of one, it is best to avoid honey altogether. Additionally, make sure to only consume pasteurized honey to reduce the risk of food poisoning.

By Influencer Magazine UK